Last Updated: March 1, 2023
The Department respects the intellectual property of others and asks its users to do the same. Service marks and trademarks contained in or displayed on https://planning.lacity.gov/ or https://planning4la.org/, and the contents of linked sites operated by third parties, are the property of their respective owners (which may be the City). All other design, information, text, graphics, images, and other items contained in or displayed on are the property of the City Planning. You do not have the right to post material unless given explicit rights by City Planning.
California Public Records Request Act
The California State Legislature adopted the Public Records Act (PRA) to increase the public’s access to government agencies’s public records. For example, public records requests may seek documents and materials such as case filings, or request data in an agency’s possession. Under the PRA, local agencies may withhold certain information if there is a legal basis for doing so. Nevertheless, they may also be obligated to share personal information and communications in accordance with State or Federal law. By opting-in to receive updates, you acknowledge that your communication may be subject to the California PRA and other laws. While the PRA sets the general policies for access to City records, other California statutes as well as federal laws also deal with confidentiality issues.
Email and Text Communications
- Listservs: By opting-in to receive email updates, you consent to receiving communications on select work programs, including geographic-specific notifications where there are planning initiatives underway, in accordance with Department policy.
- User Opt-In: By providing your email address to City Planning, you are voluntarily opting in to receive recurring emails from the Department. Moreover, by providing your email address, you are agreeing that your contact information is valid, and that you are the owner or authorized user. If there is a change to your email address, or you are no longer the owner or authorized user of your email, you agree to promptly notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your participation in receiving these email updates is not required to receive Department updates, as there are other forms of providing input on planning work programs. Furthermore, your participation in this program is voluntary.
Two-Way Communication: The Department’s email considerations are two-way in nature―disseminated to share Department updates, appointment reminders, and other information related to planning and land use considerations in the City of Los Angeles. Email messages may be sent using an automated technology. Frequency of these emails vary based in part on the number of campaigns you opt into to receive updates.
Nevertheless, please note that due to the two-way nature of your communication, your emails may be subject to the California Public Records Act, which requires local agencies to disclose communications in certain instances, in accordance with law.
- Disclaimer of Warranty and Liability: City Planning’s digital communications are on an “as-needed” and may not be available at all times. You agree that neither the Department nor its service providers will be liable for any failed, delayed, or misdirected delivery of any mobile message or information that is disseminated electronically.
- Program Description: We may send informational and outreach materials in various formats through SMS and MMS. These informational and outreach materials may include details about upcoming community events, public hearings, select development projects, existing work programs, and occasional updates to local planning services. You agree that the Department may send you messages regarding the foregoing topics, or any planning-related topic, and that such messages and/or calls may be made or placed using different telephone numbers or short codes. City Planning does not charge for the SMS and MMS. However, you are responsible for any message and data rates imposed by your mobile provider, as standard data and message rates may apply for SMS and MMS alerts.
- One-Way Communication: The Department’s SMS and MMS are one-way in nature, disseminated to share Department updates, appointment reminders, and other information related to planning and land use considerations in the City of Los Angeles. SMS and MMS messages may be sent using an automated technology including an autodialer, automated system, or automatic telephone dialing system. Message frequency will vary based in part on the number of campaigns you opt into for SMS updates.
- User Opt-In: By providing your mobile phone number to City Planning, you are voluntarily opting into SMS and MMS and agree to receive recurring text messages from City Planning at the mobile phone number associated with your opt-in, even if such number is registered on any state or federal “Do Not Call” list. You agree that any mobile phone number you provide to us is a valid mobile phone number of which you are the owner or authorized user. If you change your mobile phone number, or are no longer the owner or authorized user of the mobile phone number, you agree to promptly notify us at email@example.com. Your participation in SMS and MMS is not required to receive Department updates, as there are other forms of providing input on planning work programs. Furthermore, your participation in SMS and MMS is completely voluntary.
- User Opt-Out and Support: You may opt-out of SMS and MMS at any time. If you wish to opt-out of SMS and stop receiving mobile messages from City Planning, or you no longer agree to these SMS and MMS, reply “STOP” to refrain from receiving future updates. You may continue to receive text messages until the Department processes your request. You understand and agree that the foregoing is the only reasonable method of opting out. For support, reply HELP to any mobile message from us.
- Disclaimer of Warranty and Liability: The SMS and MMS is offered on an “as-is” basis and may not be available at all times, or provided by all mobile providers. You agree that neither the City nor City Planning’s service providers will be liable for any failed, delayed, or misdirected delivery of any mobile message or information sent through SMS and MMS.
- Modifications: The Department may modify or cancel the SMS and MMS, or any of its features at any time, with or without notice. To the extent permitted by applicable law, City Planning may also modify these terms at any time. Any such modification will take effect when it is posted to our website. You agree to review these SMS and MMS terms periodically to ensure that you are aware of any modifications. Your continued participation in the Program will constitute your acceptance of those modifications.